...because sometimes all you need is a little inspiration...

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Letter Art

Thought this was a super cute idea.  {Somewhat Quirky} has the tutorial, but it's just one of those cardboard letters.  She used Alene's Tacky Glue to draw a design, then covered it with foil, then shoe polish.  Such a great idea!  I love the way it looks!

Recently, someone contacted me through my {Etsy Shoppe} wondering if I'd make a letter like this for them.
I said I would of course, and here it is. 
I'm absolutely loving the way it looks!! 
Kinda like sculpted metal. 
And here it is antiqued:
To antique the foil, I used a mahogany gelstain and just rubbed it on and let it dry.
I had to rub it in different directions, and sort of shove and pat it into areas I wanted to be darker.  And I had to do a few coats to get the look I wanted.
And then, I sealed it off with a varnish so it would stay put.
Don't you just love it!? 
I can't get over how cool it looks. 

Here's another finish I did recently:
For this one, once my glue design dried, I spray painted it using rustoleum metallic aged bronze color.
Once that dried, I used the same mahogany gelstain and rubbed it on, gooping it thicker in some spots.  I did a few different coats until I liked it.
And then, I sealed it with a clear coat.

And another:

I like em all, but so far the antique bronze is my fave!  So pretty!! 

Anyway, I've decided to sell them, if any one is interested, in my {Little Craft Shoppe}.

22 comments:

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Thanks for featuring my project! It was so easy and cheap! Thanks again!

sallgood said...

Actually, this isn't painted- it's covered with foil and then rubbed with shoe polish. :D

Holly said...

Where can I find the full tutorial? And where can I find the letters?

Brittany said...

Holly, there is a link in the post above to Somewhat Simple, where you can find the full tutorial. You can buy these card board letters at craft stores like Hobby Lobby.

Bethany said...

What did you use to create the dark brown/bronze antique one?

Brittany said...

Bethany,
I don't know if I should share my tricks... :) I sprayed it Bronze, then wiped a stain over it.

Brent, Katy, Mia and Ben said...

the antiqued "K" in this post... how did you get that look? Did you use foil and shoepolish as well? I have finsihed the foil step and want the look that you used for the "k" (the antiqued). please share :-) Im stuck!

Brittany said...

I updated the post to include directions to antique it. Let me know if you have more questions! I hope that helps.

Carla Charlton said...

Hey! I was only wondering how you did the finish for the letter "N". That is the exact look I want to go for when I make my letters (Want to make sure I get all the right supplies).

Brittany said...

Carla,
I updated the post with instructions. I hope that helps!

Lisa Granholm said...

Hi Brittany...I LOVE the first letter on this blog...the antiquey looking white one. I tried the simple instructions...but it looks pretty crappy. Are there more detailed instructions? If not, I'd be willing to buy one from your Etsy shop! Let me know if there are detailed instructions and I'll give it another go!

Thanks!

otessa63
Lisa

Elizabeth Lewis said...

Wow these are amazing! Fantastic job!
Liz

jehan mmpp said...

Great

jehan mmpp said...

I have made it by myself … where can i upload the pic to show it ?

Beth said...

Do you cover it with foil regardless of the color you choose to use? Thanks!

Rich and Jenny said...

How did you do the off white one?? Did you still cover it with foil?? Can you just spray paint the letter with the glue and skip the foil step??

Brittany said...

To answer Beth and Rich and Jenny, yes you can skip the foil step. I only use foil when I want it to look like bent or carved metal. When I paint it white, or even the dark brown, I don't foil it. Just spray over the glue.

saishlee said...

Where do you find the Foam Letters?

Crystal Ross said...

What did you use to seal it?

Lisa said...

Hi Brittany- I love the look of the bronze finished letter. I'm making one for my friends 50th birthday. I've clued the pattern on and covered it with foil but can't seem to find the aged bronze color spray anywhere. Where did you get yours? Can you recommend another color in case I can't locate it in my area? I would greatly appreciate it and my friend would too.

Brittany said...

Lisa, I buy my bronze spray paint at walmart and home depot and lowes. I use Rustoleum Metallic spray paint and the lid looks like a copper color almost. It's quite a bit lighter than the letter ends up being. But, the stain darkens it up quite a bit. I hope that helps!

Heather OCain said...

Very cool idea, I think I like the shabby "H" the best but they are all great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails