...because sometimes all you need is a little inspiration...

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wooden Doll Nativity

I fell in love with this Spool Doll Nativity from {Holes in my Shiny Veneer}.  Here's {part 2} of her adorable nativity, in case you're interested.  So, I set out to make my own. 
Within a week, I came across this wooden nativity backdrop at Target in their dollar section for only $2.50!  I was seriously so excited!  Then, I went to get some wooden spools and doll heads at the craft store and while I was looking I saw these little unfinished wooden doll bodies:
They already have a head and I love skipping steps, so I bought them.  They have two different sizes, too.  Perfect for a nativity, since you need a smaller one for baby Jesus.
Anyway, I spent an hour one day cutting scraps of fabric and ribbon and hot gluing them onto these dolls.  The link mentioned above has a great tutorial which I looked at just to get ideas and see how she did things.  For me, it was as easy as cutting strips of fabric and wrapping them around the doll bodies, and in some cases their heads.  Then, putting on embellishments to create different characters.
I'm absolutely in love with the way they turned out!!  And my son was very excited with each new addition I put out for him to put in his "house".
I might eventually paint faces on them, but I'm kinda worried I'll totally mess them up, and I kind of like them faceless... 
It's a perfect little durable nativity that my little guy can play with to his hearts content without me worrying about him breaking something.  And even if he did, the whole thing cost under $8.00, so it wouldn't be a big deal.  I think this is a really cute and easy way to help my 3 year old understand the real meaning of Christmas.  We love playing "Baby Jesus" with them, and I hope we will continue to play with them year after year.

Since I found my Creche (backdrop) at Target last year, I have been asked so many times where to find something like it.  I don't know if Target will carry it again this year, but I've found a few comparables:
You can find this cutie at {Mud Cats Pottery} on Etsy for $12.

This small Nativity Creche is $15 at {avwod37} on Etsy.

And this one is $18 at {ClickityClack} on Etsy.
I'm tempted to try and make one myself to sell it to everyone who is looking! ha.  I'll let ya'll know if it happens.  But here are some measurements in case you want to make your own:


16 comments:

Lisa Ogles said...

It turned out so well Brittany, and for a fabulous price. Such a good idea for Jason to have some thing to play with and learn about Christmas. Love it.

Nina Mia said...

That is sooo cute! Great idea! :)

Sam and Carmin said...

OK, so anytime I see faceless dolls, I think of your mom. She came to a super saturday homemaking in our ward in Peoria, which included daughters. We made faceless dolls out of mops. I remember your mom looking at her creation and saying, "Hmmm. My girls don't like her without a face. They're asking me to put a face on her." Then she picked up some pens and added darling features. I remember you and Jessica were at her knee while she said this, so the request probably came from both of you. (I'm sure Jason doesn't care as much about a face as little girl Brittany.) The rest of us didn't trust our drawing skills, so our dolls remained faceless.

Your nativity is darling! What a find to get that wooden stable!!!

AmyLyn said...

Awesome job, Brittany!! They look DARLING!! And every child needs a non-breakable nativity to play with! (We have a couple in our house). I love them without faces--looks more reverent or something, like willowtree.

AmyLyn said...

And what a funny memory, Carmin!

Crystal said...

I love the simplicity of this!
Thanks for sharing!

Janelle said...

I love this set! I was just thinking about finding a set I could make 4 copies of - one for each child to have in their ornmanet box & to take with them one day. I love this and I think this is it! They could each help with their set, but it is durable and will hold up over the years!
THanks for sharing!
Blessings
Janelle

Katie said...

Ok so when did you find the stable and Where in target??? I love this SO much!!

Tutus & Tea Parties said...

This is wonderful! My little one would enjoy being able to play with a nativity set since the one I have is breakable.

I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party-week-sixteen.html

Hillary Monroe said...

I'm trying to find the wooden dolls, but Joann and Michaels don't have them. Can you tell me what store you found them at?

Samantha said...

I saw your nativity set on U-Create and had to come over to tell you how cute it is! I love the blank faces on the little wooden dolls. It goes with the rustic burlap feel. One year we wanted to do something like this for all of the young children in our church, so I went to Hobby Lobby and got some tiny little simple baskets, put some straw in them (from the floral dept.) and wrapped a little doll like these in swaddling clothes. I made tags to explain that it was Baby Jesus in the manger. It was the perfect toddler/preschool toy to give and they loved them. Now this makes me want to make everyone a complete nativity! LOL

Jess said...

SO SO CUTE!!! I love durable these would be with little hands!! I'll be featuring this tomorrow at Just Simply Christmas, come join in on the fun!! 15 weeks of Christmas, 15 different themes!!
http://justsimplychristmas.blogspot.com/p/please-read-to-participants.html
See ya there!
Jess

A Mormon Mommy said...

I am making this for a craft swap...but I just don't know where to find a stable!!! I love this idea!!!

Angela H. said...

Could you please give more specifics on where (dept) in Target you found the nativity stable?

I have dolls just need the stable and this is what i've been looking for! :)

Brittany said...

I just found the nativity backdrop in the dollar section of Target. It was last year, so I don't know if they'll have it agian. I'll see if I can find something similar anywhere else.

David said...

Brittany,

I love this nativity you created. My husband and I carry the peg dolls for it and lots of other great unfinishedwood craft parts for just about any craft you can come up with. You can see our products at www.DCWoodcrafts.Etsy.com

Thank you so much for sharing your crafting with everyone.

Related Posts with Thumbnails