...because sometimes all you need is a little inspiration...

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Ruffle Collar Tutorial

  I got the idea for this shirt {here}...it's just taken me a while to make it. :)
So, here's what I used:
a tshirt from Old Navy and an 1/8 yard of fake silk fabric.
Step 1: cut a strip of fabric the width of what you're wanting the ruffle to be.  Gather the edges with a small gather stitch.
Just so it won't fray down to nothing...cause that's what this fabric does.
Step 2: Roll the end and stitch it, and roll it again and stitch it.  Stitch that, so the rolled edge is underneath at the shoulder seams. 
Then, fold the fabric underneath itself in pleats and pin them all the way around the neckline.  I was not precise about these at all... in fact I wanted them to be uneven.
Step3: Stitch the fabric to the shirt on the side where the end will lay underneath the other end.  I did two rows of stitching, because I was a little worried about the fraying edges.  I like the way they look, but I was worried they'd waste away to nothing.
Step 4: Pin the pleats down over the row you just stitched and stitch that side.
Step 5: Stitch the other side of the fabric to the shirt so both the tops and the bottoms of the fabric strips are completely adhered to the shirt.
Ta Da!
Here it is.  I love it. 
My husband thinks it "looks home made" ... not the best compliment, but he's referring to the frayed edges which is totally the look I was going for.  If you don't want them frayed, fold the edges under. :)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I love it so much. Way to go, the frayed edges are "in" right now. Come on Brent! :-)

The Viehweg's said...

That's super cute! If you don't want the frayed edges what about using the satin type fabric for the edge of blankets??

moxiemandie said...

SO cute! I'm so glad I saw this on babble!

Handmade by Hilani said...

This is so awesome! Great work and tutorial, can't wait to try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails