...because sometimes all you need is a little inspiration...

Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas Advents

I LOVE Advent Calendars! But, let's face it, most of them are really hokey. So, I've been on the hunt for some great ones. And here's what I've come up with so far:

Here is Martha's {Baby Sock Advent}. Click on the link for a tutorial. She says to put a little gift for baby in each sock - one a day until Christmas. It's cute, huh!?
I don't think it necessarily has to be baby socks, or have presents just for baby either. You could do things for the whole family - in big size socks.

Here is a cute idea from {Ali Edwards}
She just numbered different size and colored boxes and tacked em to her wall...


Isn't this train to die for!!??
It's sold out at {Impression}. But, it really looks kind of easy to make. Ok, maybe not easy, but all you'd have to do is get a wooden toy train red and white, then stick on those numbers. I just think it's adorable!! Wouldn't this be cute going around the bottom of your Christmas tree??

{Jordan Ferney} came up with this beauty!
Well, I guess it was her and Potterybarn. That's where she got the shelf. Seems like you could make one pretty easily. She fills her beautifully wrapped presents - I KNOW - with things like this:
December 1: Go Ice Skating
December 2: Watch It's a Wonderful Life, make spiced cider.
December 3: Exchange gifts
December 4: Make Christmas Cookies for friends.
December 5: Find Mistletoe, hang it in our house and kiss under it.
December 6: Address and Mail Christmas Cards
December 7: Go to Borders and Pick out one new Christmas CD.
December 8: Go to The Nutcracker
etc. etc. etc.

So, most of them are things to do together, which I really like. Go {here} for her full list of ideas.
And here are some family friendly ideas from The Idea Room:
1. Decorate the Christmas tree.
2. Write letters to Santa.
3. Build a snowman.
4. Have a snowball fight.
5. Make Christmas cookies and surprise a neighbor or two with a plate.
6. Sing Christmas Carols together.
7. Write Christmas letters to relatives we will not see for Christmas.
8. Watch a Christmas movie.
9. Visit Santa at the Mall.
10. Take a drive to see the Christmas Lights.
11. Clean out old toys and donate to Goodwill.
12. Make a gift for kids teachers.
13. Make some Christmas Candy.
14. Play a game in front of the fire.
15. Watch The Grinch.
16. Learn more about Jesus.
17. Sleep under the Christmas Tree.
18. Do a secret service for someone in the family or a neighbor.
19. Make a gingerbread house.
20. Read an extra Christmas story.
21. Make some reindeer food for Christmas Eve.
22. Read the Christmas story in Luke Chapter 2 and other scriptures.
23. Act out the nativity scene.
24. Listen to Christmas music.
25. Set out cookies and reindeer food for Santa and his reindeers.
26. Read the notes in our love socks.
27. Watch a Christmas special on television.
28. Go sledding!

You could of course do this idea without the 25 box frame. Just number the presents and set them out on something pretty like this image from {BHG}.

And here is probably my favorite idea that I got from this Potterybarn image. I'm totally doing this.
Hang an ornament on your Christmas Tree every day until Christmas. I think if I were to make this, I'd just attach knobs to a wooden board of some sort and just hang the ornaments from each knob. I also would have the ornaments mean something. I love this idea from {Keepin the Castle}. Each ornament has a scripture about Christ associated with it. What a great way to make sure you're focusing on the real reason for this holiday, which I think is all too often forgotten.

Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

katie said...

Wow Brittany! You outdid yourself on this post--possibly my favorite ever. All of those ideas are adorable, and they're enough to make me wish we were staying home all 25 days to make it worth the effort to get one going this year. But, since we're leaving on the 16th I guess I better stick with the other things on my long list: 2nd birthday presents, 5th anniversary presents, and lots of Christmas presents!

Related Posts with Thumbnails