...because sometimes all you need is a little inspiration...

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Homemade Baby Food

I realize I am not the only mommy out there who has done this, but I just thought I'd share my success story. :) I've always planned on making baby food. I'm the oldest in my family and I remember my mom almost always had a food mill at dinner time, grinding up whatever we were having into a dinner for one of my younger siblings. I totally plan on getting one of those as soon as my baby has been introduced to more foods, but for starters, I just wanted to give him one thing at a time. Cooking veggies is not hard and you hardly need a recipe for it, but I got a gift certificate to Borders for my birthday, so I went to look for something that would help me know what to start out with, and told me exactly how nutritious different veggies are, and the best way to cook them, yadda yadda yadda... So, I went and looked through about ten books and like this one the best. So much good stuff in there! It even has meal plans layed out for you. I really like it. So anyway, the first thing I made was carrots. Steamed them, then blended them with the braun. I love my braun, by the way!
If my freezer didn't have an ice maker, I'd have just used ice trays, but I don't have any, so I registered for these kidco trays and got them. They're cool because each "cube" is 2 oz. large, so that makes feeding pretty easy...I guess. My baby isn't eating that much yet because we just started, but anyway...

Froze them, then popped them out and put them in a ziplock to freeze. They should last about 3 months! Then, when I want to feed him, I'll just take one cube out and pop it in the microwave. Easy!

It was so easy that I've since made sweet potatoes and squash and I plan on doing many more. It will be really fun once I've introduced more things because then I'll be able to do mixtures. That is another reason I got "Superfoods." It has good recipes for what veggies go well with other veggies, etc. I'm loving it!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow, I'm so glad that you posted on this! I am pretty opinionated about introducing foods to my kids and I love the freezer idea! Perfect! I will definately have to get that book when the time comes. And I love the quiet book idea. I checked it out and love the barn one with the finger puppets!

kamille said...

that's so great. i intended on making my own food with max but i was just lazy and didn't do it consistently. i would like to do it with our next one though! it's so much cheaper!

Related Posts with Thumbnails