...because sometimes all you need is a little inspiration...

Monday, May 4, 2009

Finished Outdoor Blanket

Well, there it is. I am really happy with how it turned out. I did a rag blanket so I wouldn't have to actually quilt the jeans. They were SO hard to sew with a machine, so I can't imagine quilting through them by hand! I broke all my needles before I was halfway done. Then I went to the store and found out there were needles specifically made to sew denim. shoot. Bought those, used those and broke all but one. So I spent around $5 there, but everything else was free because I'd just been saving these holey jeans since high school. Clipping the edges so they fray like that was hard, too. Just because it's denim. I couldn't do all the layers together. I had to clip every seam 4 times to get all the edges clipped. It made a MESS of my house too because that stuff went everywhere! But, once it was done and I took it to the laundromat - because I didn't want to clog up my own machine - and got it washed and dried, it looked like this! And I love it. I love the way those frayed edges look and they actually make the blanket a lot softer. I just sewed around the edges and frayed them as well so I could add to it in the future, if I ever decide I want to sew denim again which isn't likely right now. But it is kind of small. It will fit all 3 of us on it for the time being and that's all I need for a while. the end.

7 comments:

Jacey said...

it turned out so cute. mine has a cotton backing; but i like just the jean look. good job!
ps- my spring craft is from the wood connection in slc, they have the cutest wood crafts!

kamille said...

that's so cute. good work! i am very impressed.

The Viehweg's said...

It looks super cute!! I hadn't thought to do a rag blanket with it. I can't imagine cutting all the seams!! I am sure you thought you were never going to finish. That sucks about the needles breaking, I have never used a denim needle, just an all purpose one. Good Job!!

Julie said...

love how it turned out! I've been saving some jeans and I like this idea better than just the square pieces I was going to do with them for a quilt!

Em said...

I love this!!! It's the best looking one I've seen on the net and I love the frayed rag look, which would definitely help make it softer. I'm saving jeans to make one too!

ReFabulous said...

I just spied this on Pinterest... it's SO cute! I can only imagine how durable this is. I'd LOVE to make one some day... thanks for sharing your process with us! :)

Linda Elbourn said...

Just love this denim raggedy quilt. Did you put wadding in the layering? Thanks for sharing your gorgeous work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails